Friday, December 26, 2008

Celebrating Christmas

This is our first year celebrating away from home. 

It's really quiet during public holidays in Finland because all the shops will be closed and people will normally spend time with their families. 

So on 23 Dec, we raided the supermarket and stocked up enough food for the next 4 days because shops don't operate at their usual opening hours until 27 Dec.

Christmas seems odd not being in church or meeting up with friends. We miss singing Christmas carols and enjoying the festivities, and of course, the sharing of the Christmas message.

We didn't do any shopping this year. Because we didn't have any one to give presents to. The only gifts we prepared were some chocolates for our neighbours.

Many of the shops are already having sales. At H&M, some items are even on 70%. Somehow, I'm not lured. I worry about the length of the financial crisis. Given that we are on a single-income, money should be spent on necessities.

To top up the gloom, I'm ill. Much of Christmas Day was spent in bed. I dragged myself out of bed at regular hours because my family depends on me for their meals. There was no fever but I just felt so cold... brr... Couldn't eat much so drank lots of honey water, which made me go the loo often. I so wish we had the Japanese-style warmed toilet seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment