Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The start of something new

Finally, I have a blog.

I had planned on living with minimum digital footprint. So I don't do Facebook or Friendster or MySpace, or other social networking tools.

My yahoo e-mail account has been in use since the early 1990s, which explains why the ID is my name in its original form without the need for additional suffixes. I have another yahoo e-mail account which I had started for work purposes and also a Skype ID.

Some months ago while chatting with a friend on Skype, he suggested I write a book about life as an expat.

Friend DC: u should consider writing a simple memoir of how u struggled thru moving from country to country

DC: it can be good therapy n may even be a best seller. most of all it may help u pass time.

Me: only pple like u will think this sort of thing is interesting

DC: my dear... u never know... u may be surprised by its reception

Me: for those of us who live overseas, it's fun. for others, life goes on

DC: do u know how many asian r being expats nowadays... n most handbooks in the mkt are targetted at western expat n their families... not eastern expats

Me: I have to put it across so that it's as interesting to them as it was for me

DC: do it as a hobby... dont aim for money... aim for fun... dont be the china olympian... be the western olympian

So here I am.

Some of you may know that I've been freelance writing for some time. Thanks to the bleak global economy and lack of language skills in Finland, I now have time to spare for some leisure composition.

Through this blog, I will share my life and interpretations of daily sights and sounds. For example, I may have a chance to talk more about what I think are the differences between a Chinese Olympian and a Western Olympian.

Hence, I invite you to visit often. Best of all, it's free.






No comments:

Post a Comment