Monday, January 12, 2009

DIY Hair Cut - Easy as ABC

Well, almost.

This blog entry chronicles my first major DIY haircut. I'm not talking about the mere trimming of the fringe. This is chicken feet which I accomplished at tender age of 4.

The service sector in Finland tends to charge exorbitantly. The cheapest haircut I can find in Helsinki/Espoo costs €30. At this price, one can get a nice haircut at a salon in the Orchard/CBD area, along with a hair wash, head massage and some styling. In Helsinki, the fellow gave me a few snips here and there, and sent me on my way.

My last haircut was in September and my hair is starting to feel long and thick. Do you know that YouTube is an excellent resource for anything under the sun. When I wanted to find out how to use a dishwasher, I looked up YouTube. Now that I want to cut my own hair, YouTube must have something relevant.

My inspiration comes from this video where Italian actress Elisa Bagordo (I thought they were speaking Spanish) had her lustrous long hair chopped off. Hong Giep called it "Nightmare on Elm Street" for beautiful women. But wait. The effect was surprising chic.

I've had a similar experience many years ago at a salon located at the Hyatt Hotel in Singapore. Imagine my shock when the hairdresser told me to bend over - dripping wet locks and all - and all she did was cut bluntly across. After I sat up and hair dried, my hair was nicely layered and textured. This salon experience took place such a long time ago, I don't remember the details. 

But now, I have a reason to try out something new.



What you saw in the video was actually the second cut, which explains why you saw me cut off short lengths but I showed you a long bunch of hair.

The results aren't too bad, don't you think? 

The first chop was quite scary, then the second and third chops (yes, there was even a third time) became an obsessive urge to achieve the best effect. 

You can tell the cut was conservative. In case it turns out to be a disaster, I can run to the nearest hairdresser tomorrow and there's room for salvation. The Daddy was supposed to do the cutting but we realised he has to commit himself to the camera. 

A tip for ladies out there brave enough to try this. The higher you tie the pony tail, the more layers you will get. So I tied my hair at 3 different heights and snipped off the ends. 

Take courage. You can do this stunt at home.
 


1 comment:

  1. Hat's off to you, Mei Zhen! I wouldnt do it myself or even to Chin Ching!

    ReplyDelete