Sunday, April 19, 2009

International flavours at IKEA

I like Ikea. 

I like its cheap and cheerful home furnishings. I love the smell of pine that greets me as I step into the store. I enjoy Swedish meatballs swimming in salty gravy served with a dollop of berry jam and potatoes.

Last month, I had lunch at Ikea in Singapore. I've been there many times before but this time feels strange. 

Having visited Ikea stores in Singapore, Beijing and Finland, I found that Ikea has a very strong brand identity. The stores smell and look the same and stock similar merchandise. One can buy the same Ikea sofa or flower pot anywhere in the world.

Ikea is like being in a dream where the location doesn't change but scenarios are altered 3 times.

In the Singapore restaurant, besides the ubiquitous meatballs and salmon, laksa or nasi lemak can also be found on the menu. In Finland, the special dish of the day may be Indian tandoori chicken or herbed chicken - something non-Finnish.

In Finland, diners commonly clean up after their meal. Not in Singapore, even though there are clear signs informing diners to do so. After spending a number of years away from Singapore, I couldn't accept what I saw last month. On my second visit, it occurred to me that this is the Singapore way of life. Perhaps I was the odd one.

In Beijing, I saw the Chinese eat their spaghetti bolognase using chopsticks. Some added lots of extra ketchup to make their noodles more saucy. Strange to me but perfectly normal to the Chinese: chopsticks are their cutlery of choice whether to eat rice or spaghetti. It's not unusual for people to add condiments to their noodles too.

Our Chinese friends in Finland choose chopsticks if they have a choice. Since we look Chinese and speak Mandarin, we are given chopsticks at Chinese restaurants even though food is served in plates and Finns are given forks and spoons/knives. 

Sometimes I wonder if I actually know who I am or do I change according to where I go. Other times, I feel like I'm living in a dream.




No comments:

Post a Comment